Monday, October 11, 2010

Report

I was banggaishly bragging to my mom the other day about being a good girl this time and staying at home for the 2 weeks plus of hols and not going out.

My mom gave me a scornful look and tembaked my back with: "Before hols you go so many places edi still not enough a?"

*shrinks to 1/4 of my size*

But ya, this hols, I have been cocooning in the house, surrounding myself with music, books, movies and TV series.

*squirms in delight*

And FYP.

*squirms in horror*

Anyway, let me share with you what I have been wasting my not-really-in-existence brain on:

3 books-

1. Kazuo Ishiguro's Nocturnes



I bought this book when I was strolling in Queensbay's Borders. My mom said he's a good writer, so I thought I'd give him a try. Given to the title and the fact that the book is about music and love, I thought I'd pick up a piece of gold. Turns out, it's not really my cup of tea. I guess I'm not artsy enough to appreciate it fully. The stories start off sweetly enough, but then they just flow at the same pace without encountering rocks and waterfalls.

2. Anchee Min's Empress Orchid



Oooh.... I loved this one. I've always liked reading about the Chinese Imperial courts and the lives the people led in there. And if it revolves around the concubines, all the better. This book has both =D Empress Orchid is about the last Empress in China. You get to read about how she schemes and plots her way around to survive in the palace. You actually feel for her as you read about her sacrifices and how she has to harden her heart for the good of the country, her family and herself.

3. Tash Aw's Map Of the Invisible World



I think Tash Aw is cool. There's something about the way he writes which is different from other writers. This is his second book, and I think it's better than the first one, The Harmony Silk Factory. Because he's Malaysian, it is very easy to identify with the people and places which he writes about. Got a sense of proximity. Hehe...

3 movies-

1. The Legend of Chen Zhen



Donnie Yen totally kicks ass. And he's scarily well preserved for his age. But Ip Man was too good edi, I couldn't help comparing this movie to it. The fight scenes were ok, though a bit too exaggerated. Shu Qi was hopelessly annoying. And as usual, she had to die in the end. Verdict? Ip Man: 1, Chen Zhen: 0.

2. Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame



The guy has the same awesome name as me... Need I say more? ;)

3. Adam



Florence and Shu Ern asked me to watched this, so watched it I did. It's a movie that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling after watching it... =) Adam is a guy with Aspergers Syndrome, which is a kind of autism disorder. But in his awkwardness, Adam is cute! And you know what's cuter? The two raccoons that appeared in the movie =D

And 4 TV series-

1. How I Met Your Mother



3 words: Waddap! Awesome! Legen.... wait for it.... dary!

2. Criminal Minds (season 5)



I've been hooked on Criminal Minds since dunno when. This series have one of the most best looking cast and script ever. Only thing is, watching it for a long stretch might get you into mild depression. The cases they have to solve involve the most twisted and creepy criminals you can imagine. Hint: Think sadists and serial killers.

3. Fringe



Ooooohhh.... I can start singing praises of Fringe if you want me to! =D It's the most awesome sci-fi series ever made! And the characters grow on you, like ivy. Do you guys remember Denethor from Lord of the Rings? Hated him right? But if you tell me you watched Fringe and hate him now, I'll knock you on the head. The plot is just too gan jiong to be true and you'll really feel for the actors when they get into any emotional scrapes. One of the best bits of the movie is that it reminds us of what could happen if we mess about too much with science. Not good. Not pretty too....

4. The Mentalist



If you like Simon Baker, this is the show for you. If you don't like him, this is the show for you. I'm not being ambiguous, I'm serious =D His character, Patrick Jane is very charming but very annoying at the same time. It's quite funny actually, to see him annoy his way around solving cases. Hehe... Season 2 looks good. Waiting for it =D

So there you have it, a mini report of what I've been feasting my eyes on during the hols =)

No comments:

Post a Comment