I went for a walk with mom and dad yesterday evening around our taman. Without noticing it, I've stayed here for 10 plus years. It has changed a lot since I first came. After going to Kampar, I did not really walk around the taman any more. Yesterday was actually the first time in about 3 years where I went around again.
Gosh, so much has changed! House which were once old and falling apart with the paint peeling off and unkept gardens were now renovated and painted with bright colors and neat gardens. Houses which were once belonged to XXX family has been sold to YYY family. Houses which had old people now didn't have them anymore. Houses which had people around my age are now quieter as the kids have gone out to study. Houses which were once quiet with only the husband and wife are now noisy with the sound of kids crying. And houses which once had pets which I would peek at when I was younger, have mostly lost their animals.
But still, some things have not changed. The kids still run out in the padang and cycle in gangs round the taman (My bros are part of it) And during my walk yesterday, a little Indian boy let me play with his white puppy which was frisking around happily. Mom and dad still said hi to the uncles and auntys who were sitting outside their houses enjoying the sunset.
Like when I was younger, as we were strolling along, mom told me the folk stories of the different types of plants and animals we saw. These stories are no longer told to children nowadays. And these stories are not written down and recorded verbally. These are the stories that were passed down from generations, from what my grandma told my mom.
Mom also updated me on the neighbours and the surprising relations between them. Seriously, if you get married to anyone in Ayer Tawar or Sitiawan, you'll be related to 3 quarters of the kampung. This area is that small. Your husband's cousin is probably your neighbours' wifes' brother who married your granma's cousins' granddaughter who is the aunt of the your sons' classmate who lives at the other side of Ayer Tawar.
Walking around again made me remember the stuff I used to do when I was younger. Jia Chyi, my long time neighbour and good friend, used to run around barefooted in the padang, catch dragonflies and ladybugs, play masak-masak and cycle to the playground nearby to play with the neighbourhood kids. A few times we will buy ice cream (coz we know we couldn't eat them at home) sit on the swings, and only went home after we have finished eating them. Hehe...
I kinda miss those days...
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment