Saturday, January 16, 2010

2. I can't explain

I'm an evil person... I broke up my good friend and her boyfriend. It was because of me. I hate myself! How could I do that?! I was supposed to be their friend! The one who should be happy that they got together, the one who was to stand by their side when they get married, the one who was supposed to be at the house of the bride, making fun of the groom when he came to get her. How I be the one who is responsible for the possible break up of them?!

****

"Xing! Don't study so much edi! You close your eyes oso can get hundred, still wanna study wat? Come la, Gharney!"

Xue Xing smiled, put down her books and looked at her roommate and good friend, Jess. Her whole table was covered with her books, pens, colored pens, highlighters and papers.

"Cannot lar... Next week got test, I not yet finish reading..."

"Aiya... You have been studying since the sem started, scared wat? Come la, the rest are waiting for us," coaxed Jess, pulling Xue Xing and grabbing her car keys at the same time.


"Gosh, if you didn't have me as your roomate, I think you have no life wan lo... Everyday sit at home and study oni..." teased Jess when they were in the car, driving off to their favorite mamak shop.

****

I really didn't mean for it to happen! I treasured our friendship! I really liked hanging out with you and Josh and Gerald and Wan Xing and Keng Loong! You guys taught me how to have fun, and not coop up studying all day. You guys showed me that there was more to life then just results. You guys took me on holidays to places that I never been, made me do things that I never thought I would, made me try food that I had never tried before. You guys cheered me up when I was down and shared my joy when I was happy. Jess, you especially, was the closest to me then the rest.

You were like the sister I never had.


****

"Xing! You're going to lecture right? Help me sign a!"

"You're going to skip class again? Wei, you don't keep making use of me to sign for you la!"

Josh laughed and ruffled Xue Xing's hair as he strode up to her. He bent down to her ear and whispered, just loud enough for her to hear.

"If you don't sign for me, I'll tell Keng Loong that you like him!"

"Wei!!!"

Xue Xing smacked him as hard as she could, but he just laughed more at her. Her small hands produced no effect on him. She was a short, cute looking girl with big innocent eyes, making him feel like he was playing with a rabbit everytime he teased her. Now she was pouting and glaring at him, looking like she would pounce on him any moment. He couldn't stop laughing at her.

"Can lar... You always sign for me wan ma... Where am I gonna find a friend like you right?"

"Ish! Ok la! Babi!" she answered, finally relenting. She knew she was no match for Josh's quick mouth.

"Why are you skipping class again anyway?"

"Dunno, lazy... Just don't feel like going. Pengajian Malaysia... Screw it la! I won't fail wan anyway..."

He was right. Josh was that type of person who had good brains. He could miss half the term's lectures and still score A in the finals. He just needed to sit down with his books, tune out everything else, and whatever he read stayed in his brain. Blessed with his creativity and artistic sense, it was no wonder that he ventured into Advertising as his first degree.

As with her.

****

I'm sorry! I'm so sorry Jess! I shouldn't have gotten those feelings about Josh the way I did! It just happened, I don't even know when!

****

"We both got a job in the same advertising firm!!"

"Really? That's great!" squealed Jess as she hugged Josh and then Xue Xing.

"Promise me the two of you will be the best advertisers working there!"


That night, the six of them met up for dinner and drinks. With Josh and Xue Xing starting work, Gerald on internship, Wan Xing and Keng Loong furthering their studies elsewhere and Jess staying behind in their current uni, they knew that gatherings like these were hard to come by anymore.

They toasted and cheered each other in their future, to pass their studies and do well in their jobs. Life was going to be different for them now, as they were all grown up and venturing into the world. They would miss the life of a campus student-the late night cramming of exams, buttering up to lecturers in hope of getting exam tips, staying up whole nights to complete assignments.

Josh and Jess were laughing, linking arms as they joked about what could happen to them next time. Xue Xing felt a slight twitch of envy as she looked at the two of them. They looked so perfect together, her tall, full figure complementing his lanky, broad stature. Their good looks and personality made them one of the most popular couples in their campus during their days.

She watched Josh putting his arm around Jess, taking her food for her, filling up her glass when it was empty. She watched Jess put her hand on his lap, laughing at his jokes, occasionally smacking him when his jokes got too much. She had long gotten over her crush with Keng Loong, he just wasn't her type. Anyway, she knew there was something going on between him and Wan Xing.

****

What was I to do? I fell for Josh, I couldn't help it...

No comments:

Post a Comment